Monday, April 15, 2013

So, lately I've been considering making some new posts on here.  I've learned my lesson, that I'm not someone that does routine or stays committed to an interest or hobby for very long.  Honestly, that's just a part of who I am. I like to learn and experience new things, and I'm always sifting the things I find for nuggets of truth.  I'm really go with the flow, and typically don't plan ahead with whatever it is I'm doing.

Over the past few months I've really started focusing on plans for the future.  I'm not sure if this was caused by the software startup I'm working for not seeming so solid as of late, or that my wife and I brought a third kid into the world, or something else.  It did open my eyes to a few things about myself, through this time of self-reflection:


  1. I like learning things to the point of mastering them, but only if they pique my interest long enough or something I'm doing is greatly improved by doing so.  In most cases, I absorb enough to get by.
  2. My interest in reading and understanding people on a psychological level has really started morphing into a desire to want to help people.  I doubt I'll ever go through with it, but I would really enjoy being a mentor or life coach, and help people understand themselves.
  3. Becoming an indie game developer is still very important to me.  This isn't surprising, since I've attempted to make my own games and own worlds for the entirety of my life.  I have a long path ahead of me still.
  4. I really like to program.  It's funny, I started out with Q-Basic back when I was ten or eleven on my neighbor's computer, and on my dad's computer with my step brother Cam.  I absorbed and understood a lot of it really quickly, and I might have had something close to a game back then if I had access to the budding internet at the time.  I wrote a lot of little programs, mostly attempting to save input to text files (an rpg character generator) and trying to draw graphics onto the screen.  Anyway, I would love to make a career out of it.
  5. Sketching and writing are still something engraved deeply on my heart.  While I doubt I'll make a career out of either, they'll likely compliment something out of the above.
  6. I like hacking hardware together and doing things myself for cheaper, when it benefits me to learn to do something myself or alternative to the norm.  I've been working on turning a Motorola Lapdock and an Android TV stick into an ARM based linux laptop, and plan to post some of that soon.  I doubt I would make a career out of this, but doing computer / tech hardware reviews (tearing stuff down, showing how it's built and why, etc) would be fun.
That's about it for tonight.  Oh, well, one more thing I wanted to mention.  I started a Python course that runs for 8-9 weeks online, and I'm pretty excited about it.  They'll start challenging my understanding of programming and the language at about halfway through by the looks of it, but the beginnings will refresh me on some details at least.

Okay, one last thing.  My writing friend Steve had included me in an invite to write something for submission to the Sword & Laser Anthology they're going to be compiling this year.  I've committed myself to writing a short story for it before the deadline, May 15th, and already have a relatively solid outline for it.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment