Monday, February 03, 2014

Looking back

I just started reading some of my old game design / development docs from google drive and dropbox from last year.  MAN!  Knowing the (little) amount that I've learned since then - while on my own... I really was quite in the dark.  These last three months or so have been so enlightening, and the more I'm learning, the more I'm realizing how little I know.  I recognize that pattern of learning in life.  You think you know something, you struggle and grow, get humbled, and then when you realize it... That's the start of true understanding.  Reading my previous documents, well - I'm humbled.

So, anyway.  I'm working on a new design document.  I've also taken a break from the development on the map engine / data system of the game, and started working on the fun part - the battle system.  The questions that await me in the battle section are really going to unearth the more important questions about the data structure of the game, and what I need for different objects, base classes, etc.

As far as work Python coding goes, I have an nfc based timeclock app written with flask and a whole bunch of flask addon libraries.  I'm going to be wrapping that up this week, and the next step is basic time tracking for techs in the field on customer jobs.  A lot of what I learned in the time clock arena for the app will be put to good use in this next phase.  It's been fun, and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity to grow as a developer.

Alright, back to defining things with the knowledge I've accumulated recently.  I'll check in next year and see if I feel the same way about this round of design documentation as I did the last round.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Really happy to read this and personally inspired to work on stuff. Your definition of gaining understanding is really accurate for my life too.
    Looking forward to the next update and the beginning of the battle system!

    ReplyDelete