Sunday, November 16, 2014

Game Design Direction

As I'm nearing the completion of the collision and interaction structure that's not related to battle, I'm starting to realize that I still don't have much gameplay etched in stone yet.  I'm not sure if it's just that I want to keep my options open or what it might be, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing with this game.  Is it just a normal hack n slash with my own little tweaks and story world?  Is it a turn-based jrpg that does little new?  What will all the items do?  What will be in the maps that the player explores, what gameplay functionality will be and what won't be?

It's easy for me to see how to implement the majority of the standard SNES era jrpg.  Easy to implement the majority of what RPG Maker does and build a framework for such an audience.  But is that my target?

I think it's time for some gameplay soul-searching before I go much farther.  For once, nothing is in my way, but I'm not sure which way to go, on a number of things in the game.  It could be anything.

It could be anything I want.  What do I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment